About Me

My photo
Hi, Welcome to my Blog. I'm an eclectic kind of crafter delving into many pots. I am just about managing to keep up my Scrapbooking Diary (usually about 6 months behind), plus any cards as required. I have a new found love of watercolour and Bible Journaling plus recently Junk Journaling too. Previously I've also dabbled in ATCs, Tags, Altered Books, Mixed Media, Art Journaling, Décopatch, Knitting, Crochet, and Embroidery amongst other things. I live in Surrey, UK with my husband, our son has left home now. For exercise I usually play Badminton and go Ballroom and Latin Dancing, but am plagued by a bad back. I like walking which I couple with Geocaching and sometimes Bouncing on my Rebounder (mini trampoline). I guess I am officially retired now. I am a born again Christian, currently worshiping at my local Vineyard Church.

Monday 11 June 2012

Altered Book Lesson 9

Lesson 9 on Elizabeth's Altered Book Course is all about backgrounds. I was inspired by her "homework" so a stripy page it was for me. Still in patriotic mode, more red, white and blue. I started out with a layer of gesso and stuck some torn pieces of kitchen towel down whilst I was at it, to help obliterate the words! They also added texture to the pages. I made various shades of the reds and blues mixing them with gesso too. The horizontal stripes are the margins from the Radio Times magazine and depict the 3 days of Jubilee Celebrations here in the UK. The Union Flags are from various sources even one from a bag of potatoes!

Typically, with me and paint, I managed to get it on my previous page!! As a result I had to change one photo and the words, but fortunately had a duplicate bigger picture (top right) to replace the two smaller ones. And I guess "Queen's Diamond Jubilee" is better than "Britannia" after all. Lucky accident.

8 comments:

SandeeNC said...

I just adore your striped page, awesome job on that background, the paper towels gave it a wonderful texture too! And I too have had issues with getting paint on previous pages! Glad to hear I am not the only one! lol waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm about to fall asleep, but had to visit. When I did, I perked up right away. As usual, I fell in love with the background that incorporated bits of the British flag. Of course, using the red, white, and blue was pretty awesome, too. I really enjoyed the entire latest piece. As for the Queen's Jubilee, I think it's the perfect addition to the page.

Please don't forget to lay a bit of wax paper under the page you are working on and you'll never have to redo a page ever again.

Redanne said...

Great advice from the Mistress of altered books above. I just love your striped pages, the more flags the better as far as I am concerned. Very patriotic but also very beautiful too. Crafty hugs, Anne x

paulaexuk said...

Two great pages, your Red, White and Blue page is truly inspirational. Our Liz's Diamond Jubilee is certainly worth celebrating, I was the only one on my road with a Union Jack up, but heck this is America. Keep being drawn back to your first page, the lines and shapes take you all over it. Well done!

elle said...

What great memories you are making. Torn tea towels are a creative touch of texture.

Dawn said...

OOh BJ, loving your page very much, what a fab way to remember the Jubilee celebrations (lol, without a raindrop in sight!!)What a great use of kitchen roll for texture too, I have to admit to a napkin/tissue addiction because I love the texture it creates and am always on the look out for new designs when I am out and about.
Hugs x

Karen said...

oooooooooooooo I love love this BJ!!!!!!!! Its so colourful and I love how you sourced your Union Jacks :D xxx

Susan said...

Love your stripes! They form a really appealing grid.