About Me

My photo
Hi, Welcome to my Blog. I'm an eclectic kind of crafter delving into many pots. I am just about managing to keep up my Scrapbooking Diary (usually about 6 months behind), plus any cards as required. I have a new found love of Watercolour and Bible Journaling plus recently Faith/Art Journaling too. I've challenged myself to make an art journal page a day for this my 60th year. Previously I've also dabbled in ATCs, Tags, Altered Books, Mixed Media, Décopatch, Knitting, Crochet, and Embroidery amongst other things. I live in Surrey, UK with my husband, our son has left home now. For exercise I usually play Badminton and go Ballroom and Latin Dancing. I also like walking/Geocaching and sometimes do a bit of Bouncing on my Rebounder (mini trampoline). I have been learning to play the harp for the past 10yrs. I am now officially retired. I am a born again Christian, currently worshiping at my local Vineyard Church.

Wednesday 10 July 2013

Craft Club - Distress Resist

At craft club this week we did some distress resist using heat embossing. Just found their link to a tutorial here. Have to say I wasn't completely taken with the technique during class, but there again I'm not a stamper at heart.

I left it a couple of days and had another go at home and it was much better - think my ink pads are a bit more juicy and having all colours to hand made it easier.

Only real problem at home is the lack of appropriate stamps for the technique. Found I didn't have any solid stamps for the top image then remembered the balloon stamp I bought after a stamp class many years ago! And a couple I made during journal challenges.

Here's my quick tutorial.











1) Stamp a background script or other with Versamark or Perfect Medium and emboss on white card with WHITE embossing powder.
2) Over colour in a range of distress inks (using pale colours)
3) Dry the inks (my first mistake as I missed this bit out on my music sample)











4) Over stamp with a more solid stamp again in Versamark or Perfect Medium and emboss with CLEAR powder (as you want to see the colours through image)
5) Ink over the whole design with a darker ink.

As for the Perfect Medium - my pad seems to have disintegrated. It is a mushy mess so not quite so perfect! I got a little pad with a set of Perfect Pearls and the pad was just the same. Whereas my Versamark just goes on and on. Not sure I'd buy a Perfect Medium pad again!












Here's a close up of the number stamp I used. I made it from my Tim Holtz WORDPLAY die and funky foam stuck on some corrugated cardboard. The leaf stamp was from the TH Autumnal strip die stuck on a wooden block. This last sample is all I could do with my own stamps as the other script ones were from class.

8 comments:

Maisie Moonshine said...

Hi BJ, thanks for the heads up about this post and for a great mini tutorial. I'm going to bookmark this page and have a play in the hols. Your number stamp... genius! Love it. And thanks for the top tip re perfect medium - never bought any and not going to now - NASTY. My top tip for the day - don't use rub-ons in 27 degree heat, was wandering round with You Are Here stuck to my arm all day yesterday. Hugs MMx

505whimsygirl said...

Hi BJ,

This is a great tutorial. Funny thing about me is that I have a small collection of stamps (compared to others) but I haven't been using them. Honestly, I haven't had time for crafting in a while. I'm hoping that changes real soon.

I like the looks of the verse using the white embossing powder with the inks in the background. I don't think you'd really need to stamp another solid shape; maybe an outline of a flower.

Peace,
Kay

Ali H said...

thanks for stopping by earlier - ugh that pad looks awful ! I get mould on my Vivagold - but just scrape it off !! Can't do that with that pad though ! Ali x #49

Ali H said...

Wow busy busy desk - love your blue project ! Thanks for stopping by earlier ! Ali x #49

Maria Ontiveros said...

Good for you for trying the technique again at home! I hate it when products deteriorate. I just threw out four bottles of crackle paint because they had totally dried out! Frustrating.
Rinda

Karen said...

Hello my lovely! Gosh, there is some lovely work going on here! I can't believe what has happened to your Perfect Medium, I have had mine for ages and its ok. Though other stuff from Ranger has dried out or gone manky. HUGS xxx

Helen said...

Gorgeous, BJ!! I haven't seen that happen to an ink pad - better check my one!

Sharon Fritchman said...

Hi BJ! Thanks for sharing this resist technique! Your work looks amazing!