About Me

My photo
Hi, Welcome to my Blog. I'm an eclectic kind of crafter delving into many pots. I am just about managing to keep up my Scrapbooking Diary (usually about 6 months behind), plus any cards as required. I have a new found love of watercolour and Bible Journaling plus recently Junk Journaling too. Previously I've also dabbled in ATCs, Tags, Altered Books, Mixed Media, Art Journaling, Décopatch, Knitting, Crochet, and Embroidery amongst other things. I live in Surrey, UK with my husband, our son has left home now. For exercise I usually play Badminton and go Ballroom and Latin Dancing, but am plagued by a bad back. I like walking which I couple with Geocaching and sometimes Bouncing on my Rebounder (mini trampoline). I guess I am officially retired now. I am a born again Christian, currently worshiping at my local Vineyard Church.

Saturday 26 May 2012

Altered Book - Jubilee Page

Currently in our AB lessons we are looking at colour. I made the colour wheel last week and just needed to do a page using a colour classification. I have sort of gone for the Primary selection here, using Red, Blue and White. OK, so I am still in patriotic mode and was dying to use the pictures of our Queen which I have been collecting.

I have to admit I'm not that "into" using paint for my pages. I have tried it a bit on previous spreads but for the time factor, waiting for it to dry, having to add numerous coats and then the pages tending to stick together, it is all rather laborious for me. So I decided to cover my pages with Mullberry paper instead. I didn't have enough white so added a random patchwork of red and blue to fill in the spaces. I added silver and red glitter to the red patches, for Diamond Jubliee  "sparkle".

Without really thinking I grouped the "then" type pictures of our Queen on the left and the "now" ones on the right. The big pink one is of her at the Epsom Derby last year and we are planning to cycle over there this year and try to get a glimpse of her as she drives past on her way there. I'd just love to see our Queen in real life not just on the TV - how exciting.

10 comments:

Julia S-W said...

Very patriotic BJ! I just don't know where you find the time to collect the pictures, work out what you're going to do with them and then produce a two page spread. . . .and then, for good measure, post it on your blog! Love the picture of Queenie in her evening gown - gorgeous!
Juliaxx

Julia S-W said...

Me again! Forgot to mention that I first saw the Queen when I was at primary school in Portsmouth and then again, in Wales when she was just driving between venues and we happened to be in the right place at the right time. I have to say that it was very exciting to see her as a child and then to see her again by accident was amazing - she even waved back when we waved at her!
Juliaxx

Craftymoose Crafts said...

This spread is just lovely! I like the pink "focal" picture--Queen Elizabeth always looks so elegant!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I may have been born and raised in the United States, but my grandmother was British through and through. And she married British, too. That meant my mom was full British. I was born not too long after Elizabeth was crowned Queen. If you aren't sure where I got my name, you should be able to guess now. My Grandparents raised me, so I was raised in a rather traditional British type environment, that is until I entered high school, got busy with extra-curricular activities, and quit having afternoon tea with Grams.

Like you, I have never seen the Queen, except on TV. Of course I've seen some bios of her, some that weren't too flattering.

I suggest you either gesso your pages, OR make your backgrounds outside your AB. I also suggest NOT using heavy card stock, but opting for watercolor paper, printer (copier) paper, or book pages you removed from your AB. I do like what you have done above. Very nicely designed colorful spread.

SandeeNC said...

Great way to combine your patriotism with the color challenge! love your creativity! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

Dawn said...

Beautiful page BJ, what a tribute to HRH you have created, love the layout, really draws the eye around the page. Hugs x x x x

elle said...

What a nice spread and very flattering to HRH. I saw her in Winnipeg in a motorcade when she visited oooh so long ago, gosh I bet it was 50 years ago!

Katie said...

Lovely spread! I'm also impatient for paint to dry...so I use a hair dryer or embossing dryer to speed it along :)

Helen said...

Love the pictures you've saved for this spread - the Queen was so beautiful when she was a young girl. Hope you get to see her on the way to the Derby on Saturday - I've never been, despite living just down the road! (well almost, not as close as you!) Have fun...

paulaexuk said...

Lovely spread in honour of the Queen's Diamon Jubilee. Good use of the three colours. I love the two main images your have used